Start a discussion from a non-discussion comment
- Applies to:
- Merge requests
- Follow up on #24378 (closed).
- Issues, merge requests (non diff) commits, and snippets.
- Merge requests main discussion area only. (Non-diff discussions.)
- Merge request diff discussions are out of scope.
- Take an existing comment, and turn it into a discussion (by replying to a comment).
- Hitting the reply button will open up the comment input field and focus the cursor
- When you first load the page, all discussions are expanded by default.
- Linked comments will highlight just as they do today
- You can't delete the root comment. Delete should be disabled with a tooltip that reads "You cannot delete a root comment." The user can edit the comment
- Refactor issue discussion to be compatible with Vue frontend framework.
- Applicable to issue discussions and not other discussion areas of GitLab.
Out of scope
- The "report abuse" feature is out of scope for this issue. That is implemented in #30281 (closed).
- Resolvability is out of scope.
- When a user clicks "Start discussion" when creating a brand new comment in the regular main thread, it should look like this:
This is the scenario of a single root comment with no replies. We still show the reply panel so a user can easily reply
The three buttons on the right only applying to merge requests for this particular issue.
Last reply by copy:
2+ replies from multiple people: Last reply by [Name] about [time period] ago 2+ replies from the same person: by [Name] about [time period] ago 1 reply: by [Name] about [time period] ago