Show issue summary on Releases Page for Release Progress View
Problem to solve
We currently have a basic releases dashboard (i.e., https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/-/releases) but it just lists releases and doesn't show any status information. We can start improving this by showing interesting information that's based on the newly available milestone data: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/62402.
In general, users are interested in knowing:
- Which Issues were worked on in the release (linkable)
- The status of issues - (closed/not closed)
- The date that the release was complete
- Was the Release published to customers or an internal version
- Type of release - for example major, minor, patch
- The latest build identifiers -id, has value, number, deployed by etc.
For this issue, we want to get an overview look at the releases.
As a user, I want to see the number of relevant issues and their statuses in a release that is associated to milestones, so that I can quickly see how the Release is going.
- User sees the completion metrics for a particular Release, that is associated to at least 1 milestone.
- For public projects, show the sum of public issues. For Private projects, show the sum of total issues. The number of issues should be displayed in a badge counter.
- Show the number of open issues.
- Show the number of closed issues.
- Show a progress bar with a percentage (%) indicator of closed issues.
- Hovering the progress bar should display a tooltip that reads: Closed issues
- In the first iteration, users will only see the issue counters, but won't be able to interact with it (click and see the listed issues). This needs to be done first in #32632 (closed).
- If no milestone is added to a release, the counters should not be displayed, and no information should be rendered in the page.
- Update the card to include a header, where the Release title, badge status, and an
editbutton should be positioned.
- Move the sha, tag, time stamp, and user information to the footer of the card.
- The area where the summary of metrics is displayed should be built using columns. In the feature, we will add another column for the merge requests counter.
|Page view on GitLab||Prototype|
Anyone tracking upcoming releases
- Product manager
- Product Designer
- Release Manager
- Use Case 1 a user will want to see at glance the progress of completion in release
Permissions and Security
- Viewer should have permission to browse issues in the milestone
- Public projects will only show public issue counts and calculations on public issues in project
- Private projects will include total issue counts and calculations on total issues in project
- We will need to add for public projects only public issues are shown
- Public issue count only for public projects, excluding confidential issues in the project
- Private projects will count all issues, inclusive of confidential issues
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
What is the type of buyer?
- Community Edition
Links / references
Out of scope
- Use Case 2 a user during planning will want to see how many issues within a release are planned
Show # issues, # of issues closed, and % as completion metric on releases page, for each associated milestone next to where we show the link to the milestone.