Make it possible to edit a release using the UI
As a user, I want to edit a Release using the application UI, so that I can have a faster method to quickly manage Releases instead of sending a curl to the GitLab API.
- User should be able to edit an existing Release through the Releases page. An
editbutton should be placed in every Release entry, next to the header. Clicking the button takes the user to a form where it should be possible to edit the information about a Release.
- All form items should be pre-populated when user clicks to edit an existing release.
- All options from the Create tag form should be available when editing an existing release.
For 12.4, continue using the Tags form to create/edit a Release.
- If user has no access rights to manage a create/release, the option to edit it should not be available in the application UI (the button should be hidden).
- Once the user edits a Release form field items and submit the changes by clicking the button
Save changes, they should be taken back to the Release page, with the item that was updated highlighted on the page (anchored/page scrolled).
- A new page should be created for the editing (and eventually creation) of releases as shown in the UX prototypes.
|Edit form, exsisting tag (default)|
|Edit form, new tag|
|Edit forn tag dropdown|
|Dropdown, create tag|
Out of scope
- User can create a Release through the Releases page.
- While editing a Release, the user can remove a release via UI.
- Any changes that affect the relationship between releases-tags is not part of the scope for this issue.
Problem to solve
Updating a release if you find a mistake in the content is currently only possible through the Releases API. This would be better if it was available as a front-end feature built in since finding a simple typo and quickly editing it would be a common scenario, as well as getting rid of a release.
Release Managers or gitlab-ce~9335218 gitlab-ce~9335215 gitlab-ce~9335216 who are creating releases and want a better/faster method to quickly edit releases, instead of sending a curl to the GitLab API.
See experience baseline recommendations for Releases: gitlab-design#505 (closed)
Add the ability to create (https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/api/releases/#create-a-release) or edit (https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/api/releases/#update-a-release) a release item via UI. This should be possible for all users who are able to create releases (developer~admin at time of issue creation).
See discussion thread: #31615 (comment 216701317)
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
Users will be able to edit Releases using the application UI.
Links / references
This page may contain information related to upcoming products, features and functionality. It is important to note that the information presented is for informational purposes only, so please do not rely on the information for purchasing or planning purposes. Just like with all projects, the items mentioned on the page are subject to change or delay, and the development, release, and timing of any products, features, or functionality remain at the sole discretion of GitLab Inc.