GitLab CE features to work with unlicensed EE instance
As part of making EE the default download on GitLab, we need to allow a GitLab EE instance to function as a free CE instance when it doesn't have a license.
- All GitLab CE features to work on GitLab EE when no license is found
- No GitLab EE features should work when there isn't a regular or trial license
- Adding a trial license should activate GitLab EE features for a limited number of days (30)
- Once the trial license expires, GitLab CE features should continue to work
- Once a trial license expires, there should be a notification and link to contact sales to purchase a full EE license
- If a regular license expires, the server should no longer function and require a renewal (this is current EE behaviour)
Out of scope
- There is a separate issue to generate a trial license inside the product or to purchase a full license https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/2501
- There will be separate issues to promote GitLab EE features when no license is present
Questions for consideration
- If a trial license expires, what is the behaviour for regular users vs admins?
|Trial license will expire||Trial license expires|
- When the trial license remains 7 days, there is a message to remind users of this above the header.
- If the trial license expires, there will be a message to show the status of trial license expires above the header.
- Once users click
X, the message will disappear.