Better UX for Project Creation
When creating new projects from a template or by importing existing data, the user experience is not conducive to the discoverability of these features or an easy understanding of the flow.
"Create from Template" and "Import Project" options are hidden behind tabs, which leads to two potential user experience issues:
- The user doesn't notice the tabs and doesn't consider these options before creating the new project. This problem is exaggerated by the fact that, once the project is created, it is no longer possible to apply a template or perform an import.
- The user may notice the tabs but may assume that they will still have a chance to apply a template or an import, given that the tabs pattern looks a lot like one that may "walk" the user from tab to tab before the project is finally created. Similar to an online checkout experience. See the example image below:
A new UX flow that offers all 4 project creation options as equal choices and forces a conscious decision on which "adventure" to choose.
Additional solution discovery of this flow: #25647
- Create solution prototype
- Determine research goals
- Design user research script
- Conduct user research
- Synthesize the research results
- Apply the conclusions to the solution
Solution validation issue: #217033 (closed)
Long term prototype ideation
These are the illustrations for the new "tabs"
|New Blank Proj||Create From Template||Import Project||CI/CD External Repo|
|-||Landing page||Blank Project||Import Project||CI/CD External Repo|
This is the text to be used for each one of the choices, below the new icons:
Create new project
Create a blank project to house your files, plan your work, and collaborate on code, among other things.
Create from template
Create a project pre-populated with the necessary files to get you started quickly.
Migrate your data from an external source like GitHub, Bitbucket, or another instance of GitLab.
Run CI/CD for external repository
Connect your external repository to GitLab CI/CD.
We should collect metrics on the tab/panel clicks to be able to measure user interaction from both variants, to be able to accurately measure whether there's an improvement in engagement or not.