Enable Auto DevOps by default for self managed instances of GitLab
Problem to solve
Once Auto DevOps is GA and proven, it should be enabled by default for all on-prem (self-hosted) installations.
Enabling Auto DevOps by default means GitLab runners performing additional work for
n number of projects for which Auto DevOps, may or may not work. To mitigate these inefficiencies we want to at least Automatically disable Auto DevOps for a project if the first pipeline failed. The following are also considered important to address but not critical:
- Skip auto devops jobs based on license
- Support db migration and initialization for Auto DevOps template
- Don't run Auto DevOps for projects which don't have a shared runner configured
- Skip Auto DevOps stage when necessary components for the stage are not present
- Notification for first failed pipeline after auto devops is automatically enabled
Set Auto DevOps to "enabled" instance wide as the default Auto DevOps settings.
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
Auto DevOps jobs are triggered automatically after instance is upgraded.
Links / references
/label feature proposal