Welcome to the Xonotic wiki. If you wish to contribute, see Editing.
- You are looking at the official wiki or its mirror.
- Unofficial wiki may contain dated but still helpful information.
- IRC channels are where most players ask/answer questions, exchange ideas, organize game events, etc. in real time. You can even chat with players in the game.
- Discord: there is also a Discord server that serves more or less the same purpose as the IRC channels.
- HALOGENE’S NEWBIE CORNER has rich information for beginners. Must read! You will enjoy the game more!
- Overkill Tutorial
- Creating bot waypoints
Unofficial map repositories
- xonotic.fps.gratis (or dl.xonotic.fps.gratis for a simple list that loads faster) - Run by -z-/detrate. Same content as xonotic.co.
- xon.recombi.net (or xon.recombi.net/dl for a simple list that loads faster) - Has content from both fps.gratis and gnome, fps.gratis has precedence in case of conflict.
- xonotic.co - Currently down.
Unofficial Web-based Server Lists
- one of the 2 active master servers, shows servers from only one master at a time (itself by default)
- web interface not open source
- see page source for list of URL parameters - e.g.
master=dpmaster.tchr.noto view the other master (which has no web interface)
- arena.sh/xo - run by nmc on discord
- xonotic.lifeisabug.com - run by incognico on discord
Game Modes (or Game Types)
In Xonotic, game modes and game types mean the same thing -- different modes/types have different goals to achieve in a game.
The following modes are the more popular ones:
The following modes are available, although slightly less common than the above:
- Last Man Standing
- Invasion (experimental)
- Arena (removed)
- Trouble in Terrorist Town (lost)
Mutators change the configuration of the game play, e.g. how weapon appears, which special weapons are availabale, or the physics in the game. This is usually set by the game admins who set up games for other players. Standard Mutators are available in the game menu.
- Privacy and Security
- Camera for demos explained
- Capturing video clips and using the demo camera
- Xonotic Bot Orchestra
- Impulse map
- Console Tips & Tricks - introduction to console scripting (cvars, aliases, hooks, conditions, RPN)
- Hardware Requirements
- Basic server configuration
- Custom server votes
- Custom user directory
- Random start weapons
- Automatic map downloads
- Event logging
- Score logging
- Introduction to QuakeC
- DarkPlaces Wiki
- Writing your first mutator
- Tips for new developers
- Programming QuakeC stuff in Xonotic
- Translation website
- Translation guidelines
- How to test your translations
- Textures know-how
- Normal Maps know-how
- .framegroups file (allow self playing animations) know-how
- .sounds file (player model sounds) know-how
- How to compile dpm models
- How to make weapons
- How to get an animated mesh from Blender to DPM
- Inter-Quake Model (IQM) Format
- Player Model Spec
- Blender to IQM
- Recovering detailed normals from photo textures
- Hard Surface Texture Painting
- Some tips by FruitieX
- Q3A Shader Manual
Arts & Media
- Artistic Style
- Xonotic Logo
- Sound FX
- Story Themes