(Note: This is the MR form of #171.)
I think the current default campaign is too short and unstructured, so I created a large campaign set for Xonotic to make singleplayer more interesting.
This is meant to replace the default campaign. The “Xonotic 0.8.2 Campaign” will be removed. The reason is that the new campaign set incorporates basically everything that the default campaign has, so the default campaign is no longer needed.
This adds many new campaigns, to include levels for most game modes (DM, TDM, KH, CTF, ...) played on each map, with some special “mutated” levels sprinkled in, to spice things up. One campaign per game mode, each starting easy and getting more difficult later. Basically the structure is the same as in the default campaign, but moar. For each campaign there's ca. 4-20 levels (depends on number of available maps). There are >200 levels in total. I playtested every level.
Unlike #171, the levels have been optimized for -dev.
- The current campaign, “Xonotic 0.8.2” will be removed
- Nexball is not included. Two reasons: 1: This mode feels like an easter egg (except that it's not hidden). 2: Bots are currently completely broken on Nexball (known reported bug).
- Assault and Onslaught are merged into one campaign (Tactical Campaign) with only 4 levels in total. There are just too few levels to use 2 campaigns
- All the levels are for -dev
- Weapon Arena from #171 is NOT included (it doesn't fit with the rest)
- Race Challenge is, well, the Race game mode (you must beat the clock) and it's up to debate whether Race should be in singleplayer at all. If a Race campaign appears in singleplayer, this might confuse newcomers who (rightfully) expect a shooter game
I'm mostly happy with the levels, only the campaign titles might sound a little too dull to you (I gladly take suggestions).
I really like to hear feedback on the campaign series and whether you like it.