connection drops to Eris servers (could be generic)
I've been having problem staying connected to malice's Eris servers. The symptoms: the network incoming dropped to 0, screen froze, and after a while I got disconnected.
This is the error message he saw on his server end:
]SZ_GetSpace: overflow ]Client "BuddyFriendGuy" dropped
On the client end, there's nothing except for a generic
Connection timed out
We spent some time testing various settings/scenarios:
- We tested various combinations of
- It seems that
cl_netfpsmakes no difference.
- We couldn't rule out
cl_netrepeatinputbut it might not matter.
rateon the other hand makes a difference. The value needs to be quite high (
rate=66666666worked, if I reconnect -- see below)
- It seems I almost always failed on my first connection to Eris first server. I had to reconnect to the server in order to stay connected.
- If I restart my client (quit and relaunch the game), then I fail, even with high
rate. Not sure whether it has something to do with caching.
- However, I had no problem connecting right away to his 2nd server (which has identical settings) or his 3rd instagib server (with different config), but these two servers were empty at the time of our tests.
- It's hard to isolate the issues, but malice suspected that it may have something to do with:
- how many people are playing (my failure happened when there were 8 players; I'll test more at some other time)
- different maps might also affect it (the failure happened when it was Hub and stormkeep)
- I haven't experienced this problems on other servers, but there aren't that many servers supporting large number of players, and are far from me (my ping is around 160).