Inkscape 1.0 lags considerably on Mac Catalina
Steps to reproduce:
- open Inkscape
- import image or draw a simple rectangle
- zoom in
- try to scroll or pan
- Slow to update, particularly on scroll
- Substantial pause before rest of screen loads.
- Performance is worse as you scroll (25% zoom is still responsive, 200% has 1-2 second delay before screen loads)
And things that are normal:
- Menus are still normal, so issue with the canvas rendering
- In latest builds, hiding toolbars/rulers/status bars doesn't help
- Doesn't affect a blank document
Informally this is as bad as a 2-3 fps frame rate.
What should have happened?
- I never had this issue with the old 32 bit + xQuartz system, it was smooth and didnt slow down at all. Not sure if this is a Mac or an Inkscape issue.
Workarounds (varied success):
- Open in Low Resolution makes it usable (see #2214 (comment 326655488))
- Inkscape might have to disable High resolution from Info.plist per #1577 (comment 330987062)
- In monitor settings, set color profile "sRGB" instead of the default (see #1577 (comment 334401685))
- Disabling statusbars/rulers (see #1577 (comment 270254900) , not working in later versions apparently)
Note: related issue for GIMP: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/4130
- 1.0 on macOS Catalina 10.15.2 (OP)
- 1.0beta2 on macOS 10.14.6, 13" early 2015 macbook (8GB, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB) (#1577 (comment 294864257))
- 1.1-dev (ddb55ca, 2020-02-02) on Catalina 10.15.3, Mac Spec: 2014, 2.7GHz Quad-Core i5, 8GB 1600 MHz RAM (#1577 (comment 300400547))
- More tests on later versions
- 1.0rc1 (09960d6, 2020-04-09) on macOS 10.15.4 (19E287 MBP 16", 2019, 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB DDR4 RAM) (see #1577 (comment 324253681))
In the old 32 bit + xQuartz system, scrolling was smooth. On Ubuntu, this is not present in 1.0.