iTerm2 LC_CTYPE locale issue on SSH connections
Thanks for filing an issue! Please answer the questions below so I can help you.
- iTerm2 version: 3.0.0
- OS version: 10.12.2com.googlecode.iterm2.plist
- Attach ~/Library/Preferences/com.googlecode.iterm2.plist here (drag-drop from finder into this window)debuglog.txt
- Attach a debug log, if possible. Instructions at https://iterm2.com/debuglog
- Are you reporting a performance issue or a hang? Please attach a sample. Instructions at https://gitlab.com/gnachman/iterm2/wikis/HowToSample
Detailed steps to reproduce the problem:
- open iTerm
- connect via SSH to host
- type in some UTF8 characters -> they disappear or transformed into gibberish The same issue does not appear in macOS Terminal
What should have happened:
proper encoded characters
Fix: the LC_CTYPE locale is not set correctly
in macOS Terminal LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
in iTerm2 LC_CTYPE=UTF-8
exporting the correct one fixes the problem!