What does this MR do and why?
After the change !79227 (merged) the merge request creation form loses context of the issue it was created from when a custom branch name is used
This change adds an ability to retain the issue IID context throughout the process so the text 'Closes #IssueIID' appears on the merge request regardless of how the branch was created (automatic name or custom name)
This brings back the feature of related merge requests and system notes on the issue that went absent after the change above
Screenshots or screen recordings
How to set up and validate locally
- Create an issue under any project
- Visit the issue and click dropdown next to
Create merge requestbutton
- Enter a simple custom branch such as
- Prior to patch: New MR creation form lacked pre-filled description text
- After patch: New MR creation form has pre-filled description text
MR acceptance checklist
This checklist encourages us to confirm any changes have been analyzed to reduce risks in quality, performance, reliability, security, and maintainability.
I have evaluated the MR acceptance checklist for this MR.