Allow users to specify environment tier via .gitlab-ci.yml
What does this MR do?
In this MR, we allow users to specify the tier via .gitlab-ci.yml. We add a new key named
environment:deployment_tier: in the .gitlab-ci.yml syntax:
For example, you can specify that
customer-portal environment is
deploy-to-production: script: echo 'Deploy to production' environment: name: customer-portal deployment_tier: production
In general, the tier is automatically set based on the
environment:name:, but sometimes user puts an application codename (e.g.
customer-portal) to an environment and an unexpected tier could be set.
environment:deployment_tier is a complement in such case.
Related #300741 (closed)
Screenshots (strongly suggested)
Specify the environment tier in .gitlab-ci.yml
Deployment job passed
The tier is correctly reflected on the row
 pry(main)> project.environments.find_by_name('customer-portal').tier Environment Load (0.4ms) SELECT "environments".* FROM "environments" WHERE "environments"."project_id" = $1 AND "environments"."name" = $2 LIMIT $3 /*application:console,line:/devkitkat/services/rails/cache/ruby/2.7.0/gems/activerecord-188.8.131.52/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql/database_statements.rb:98:in `exec_query'*/ [["project_id", 35], ["name", "customer-portal"], ["LIMIT", 1]] => "production"
Specify the unknown tier in .gitlab-ci.yml
Show a proper error
Does this MR meet the acceptance criteria?
📋Does this MR need a changelog?
- I have included a changelog entry.
- I have not included a changelog entry because this feature is behind a feature flag disabled by default.
- [-] Documentation (if required) => Documentation will be added at feature flag removal.
- Code review guidelines
- Merge request performance guidelines
- Style guides
- Database guides
- Separation of EE specific content
Availability and Testing
- Review and add/update tests for this feature/bug. Consider all test levels. See the Test Planning Process.
- Tested in all supported browsers
- Informed Infrastructure department of a default or new setting change, if applicable per definition of done
If this MR contains changes to processing or storing of credentials or tokens, authorization and authentication methods and other items described in the security review guidelines:
Label as security and @ mention
- The MR includes necessary changes to maintain consistency between UI, API, email, or other methods
- Security reports checked/validated by a reviewer from the AppSec team