Make the variable type for the GitLab CI secret configurable
What does this MR do?
Allows to configure whether the variable created from a GitLab CI/CD secret should be of file type (this is the default behavior if the setting is not set at all - for backward compatibility) or whether it should be a "normal" environment variable holding the value directly.
The MR adds required
.gitlab-ci.yml syntax change, the job API payload structure
update and the documentation update.
To have the feature fully supported an updated version of GitLab Runner will be needed. The work on the GitLab Runner side is being done in gitlab-runner!2414 (merged)
Screenshots (strongly suggested)
Does this MR meet the acceptance criteria?
- Changelog entry
- Documentation (if required)
- Code review guidelines
- Merge request performance guidelines
- Style guides
- Database guides
- Separation of EE specific content
Availability and Testing
- Review and add/update tests for this feature/bug. Consider all test levels. See the Test Planning Process.
- Tested in all supported browsers
- Informed Infrastructure department of a default or new setting change, if applicable per definition of done
If this MR contains changes to processing or storing of credentials or tokens, authorization and authentication methods and other items described in the security review guidelines:
Label as security and @ mention
- The MR includes necessary changes to maintain consistency between UI, API, email, or other methods
- Security reports checked/validated by a reviewer from the AppSec team
Related to #250695 (closed)