Add CI Pipeline Efficiency documentation
What does this MR do?
We want to share best practices with making CI pipelines efficient. This includes performance indicators, storage consumption, and more components involved.
Since my CI monitoring webcast touches parts in this direction, and I had the content still in my head, I went ahead with creating a first draft based on the storyline for the slides.
This MR adds two screenshots which showcase things which are otherwise hard to describe:
- DAG visualization with the critical path, compared to a long CI pipeline.
- Grafana dashboard for the Prometheus CI Exporter.
Closes #230611 (closed)
Author's checklist (required)
- Follow the Documentation Guidelines and Style Guide.
- If you have
developeraccess or higher (for example, GitLab team members or Core Team members)
Apply the documentation label, plus:
- The corresponding DevOps stage and group label, if applicable.
development guidelines when changing docs under
development guidelines and Documentation guidelines when changing docs under
- development guidelines and Description templates (.gitlab/*) when creating/updating issue and MR description templates.
- Assign the designated Technical Writer.
- Apply the documentation label, plus:
- Update the permissions table.
- Link docs to and from the higher-level index page, plus other related docs where helpful.
- Add GitLab's version history note(s).
- Add the product tier badge.
- Add/update the feature flag section.
If you're changing document headings, search
ee/app/views/*for old headings replacing with the new ones to avoid broken anchors.
1. Primary Reviewer
- Review by a code reviewer or other selected colleague to confirm accuracy, clarity, and completeness. This can be skipped for minor fixes without substantive content changes.
2. Technical Writer
- Technical writer review. If not requested for this MR, must be scheduled post-merge. To request for this MR, assign the writer listed for the applicable DevOps stage.
- Review by assigned maintainer, who can always request/require the above reviews. Maintainer's review can occur before or after a technical writer review.
- Ensure a release milestone is set.
- If there has not been a technical writer review, create an issue for one using the Doc Review template.