Show commits by author
Issue: #14984 (closed)
What does this MR do?
The user can filter the commits by the author.
Extra info: The "Filter by commit message" update the commits list in 2 ways: it reloads the entire page when the user clicks
enter on the search term (form submit) OR it updates as the user is typing the search term (via JS).
This issue will be resolved in 2 steps:
- In this iteration, the "search by author" will refresh the entire page on selection.
- So there will be a slight delay of the author dropdown appearing due to the page refresh
- The next iteration will instead just update the commits-list section
- this will provide a better user experience as the page will not be reloaded
- Go to the commits page
- You will see the author dropdown
- In the "Filter by commit message", enter a search term
- The author dropdown will now be disabled and when hovered will display this tooltip:
- Clear the search term and the author will be enabled
- In the author dropdown, select an author
- The commits list will update to show the commits from the author
- The "Filter by commit message" is disabled and when hovered will display this tooltip:
Select "Any Author" and the "Filter by commit message" will be enabled
The search feature will allow you to filter the author list by username or name
The author dropdown only displays GitLab users of the project. Likewise in the search feature, you can only search users of the project. But you may notice some of the commits are non-gitlab users, these users will not appear in the dropdown. This might be something we want to address in a future iteration (discussion to follow in this comment > !28509 (comment 320658697))
Currently, if no commits are found for the specific author, a blank page will appear. This is consistent with the behaviour of "Filter by commit message". A better experience is to add some sort of message (Issue > TBA)
Does this MR meet the acceptance criteria?
- Changelog entry
- Documentation (if required)
- Code review guidelines
- Merge request performance guidelines
- Style guides
- Database guides
- Separation of EE specific content
Availability and Testing
- Review and add/update tests for this feature/bug. Consider all test levels. See the Test Planning Process.
- Tested in all supported browsers
- Informed Infrastructure department of a default or new setting change, if applicable per definition of done
If this MR contains changes to processing or storing of credentials or tokens, authorization and authentication methods and other items described in the security review guidelines:
Label as security and @ mention
- The MR includes necessary changes to maintain consistency between UI, API, email, or other methods
- Security reports checked/validated by a reviewer from the AppSec team
Closes #14984 (closed)