Bring Ops Dashboard from Ultimate to Premium
During the %11.8 kickoff we realized that both the ~Monitoring and ~Verify teams were building a very similar feature, an instance-wide dashboard to track the pipeline and operations status of a project.
The only differences between the two were:
- Pipeline dashboard would show downstream pipelines: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/7861
- Ops dashboard shows alert status: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/operations_dashboard/
- GitLab Premium vs. GitLab Ultimate
|Ops Dashboard||Pipeline Dashboard (Design)|
We discussed and felt that it didn't make sense to have two different dashboards, in two different places in the UI, with two different licenses, display nearly the exact same content.
Instead we are planning on a single dashboard which can meet both of these needs: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/7861#note_131723878. And in the future, we can extend this dashboard with additional panel types to further specialize content as needed: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ee/issues/9216.
This framework could also provide the foundation for a broader "personal smart dashboard": https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/27111.
The key remaining difference then is that the Pipeline Dashboard was planned to be introduced at GitLab Premium, and the Operations Dashboard is limited to GitLab Ultimate today. We've already committed to customers to bring the Pipeline Dashboard to GitLab Premium. With the existing dashboard now serving both use cases, we would need to move the feature to GitLab Premium.
We should do this because:
- Collaborating on this dashboard makes long term sense, is an efficient use of our engineering time, and streamlines UX
- Once we have the ability to add specialized panels, they can be licensed accordingly
- Based on the current pricing model of aligning to likely buyers, the Operations Dashboard also should be licensed Premium as well. It is not a transformational executive level feature, but instead a benefit/solution focused around progressive delivery, CD, and operations.
- Further, since Alerts are GitLab Ultimate and the only current feature that is unique to the Ops Dashboard, there is effectively no features being brought down to GitLab Premium that would not otherwise be available for the Pipeline Dashboard. This is because alerts cannot be set on GitLab Premium projects.
- We have already committed to customers to bring this to GitLab Premium