[Experiment Rollout] invite_for_help_continuous_onboarding - Invite members for tasks from Learn GitLab
This issue tracks the rollout and status of an experiment through to removal.
- Experiment key / feature flag name:
- Epic or issue link: gitlab-org/growth/team-tasks#459 (closed)
- Most appropriate slack channel to reach out to:
- Best individual to reach out to: @alexbuijs
- Product manager (PM): @jstava
What are we expecting to happen?
We expect more users to be added to newly created groups.
What might happen if this goes wrong?
What can we monitor to detect problems with this?
Note: you can use the CXL calculator to determine if your experiment has reached significance. The calculator includes an estimate for how much longer an experiment must run for before reaching significance.
- Runtime in days, or until we expect to reach statistical significance:
- We will roll this out behind a feature flag and expose this to
<rollout-percentage>% of actors to start then ramp it up from there.
/chatops run feature set invite_for_help_continuous_onboarding 50 --actors
The issue should be assigned to the Product manager (PM) or Engineer (Eng) as follows:
- PM determines and manages the status of the experiment (assign this issue to the PM)
- PM asks for initial rollout on production, or changes to the status (assign to an Eng)
- Eng changes the status using
chatops(reassign to the PM)
- When concluded, PM updates the 'Roll Out Steps' and adds a milestone (assigns to an Eng)
The current status and history can be viewed using the:
In this rollout issue, ensure the scoped
experiment:: label is kept accurate.
Roll Out Steps
Confirm that QA tests pass with the feature flag enabled (if you're unsure how, contact the relevant stable counterpart in the Quality department)
Enable on staging (
/chatops run feature set <experiment-key> true --staging)
Test on staging
Ensure that documentation has been updated
Enable on GitLab.com for individual groups/projects listed above and verify behaviour (
/chatops run feature set --project=gitlab-org/gitlab feature_name true)
Coordinate a time to enable the flag with the SRE oncall and release managers
@release-managers. Once an SRE on call and Release Manager on call confirm, you can proceed with the rollout
Announce on the issue an estimated time this will be enabled on GitLab.com
Enable on GitLab.com by running chatops command in
/chatops run feature set feature_name true)
Cross post chatops Slack command to
#support_gitlab-com(more guidance when this is necessary in the dev docs) and in your team channel
Announce on the issue that the flag has been enabled
Remove experiment code and feature flag and add changelog entry - a separate cleanup issue might be required
After the flag removal is deployed, clean up the feature flag by running chatops command in
Assign to the product manager to update the knowledge base (if applicable)
This feature can be disabled by running the following Chatops command:
/chatops run feature set invite_for_help_continuous_onboarding false
Experiment Successful Cleanup Concerns
Items to be considered if candidate experience is to become a permanent part of GitLab
- Investigate converting the sidebar menu from Haml to Vue (see here)