[Feature flag] Rollout of `cache_home_panel`
This feature uses the
:cache_home_panel feature flag!
- Most appropriate slack channel to reach out to:
- Best individual to reach out to: @robotmay_gitlab
- PM: @danielgruesso
The Rollout Plan
- Partial Rollout on GitLab.com with beta groups
- Rollout on GitLab.com for a certain period (How long)
- Percentage Rollout on GitLab.com
- Rollout Feature for everyone as soon as it's ready
What are we expecting to happen?
- Response time for the project homepage should improve
What might happen if this goes wrong?
- Project homepages could start throwing errors
What can we monitor to detect problems with this?
Enable on staging (
/chatops run feature set cache_home_panel true --staging)
Test on staging
Announce on the issue an estimated time this will be enabled on GitLab.com
Partial Rollout Phase
Enable on GitLab.com for individual groups/projects listed above and verify behaviour (
/chatops run feature set --project=gitlab-org/gitlab cache_home_panel true)
Verify behaviour (See Beta Groups) and add details with screenshots as a comment on this issue
If it is possible to perform an incremental rollout, this should be preferred. Proposed increments are:
100%. Proposed minimum time between increments is 15 minutes.
- When setting percentages, make sure that the feature works correctly between feature checks. See #327117 (closed) for more information
- For actor-based rollout:
/chatops run feature set cache_home_panel 10 --actors
- For time-based rollout:
/chatops run feature set cache_home_panel 10
Make the feature flag enabled by default i.e. Change
Cross post chatops slack command to
#support_gitlab-com(more guidance when this is necessary in the dev docs) and in your team channel
This is an important phase, that should be either done in the next Milestone or as soon as possible. For the cleanup phase, please follow our documentation on how to clean up the feature flag.
Announce on the issue that the flag has been enabled
Remove all references to the feature flag from the codebase
Remove the YAML definitions for the feature from the repository
Create a Changelog Entry
Clean up the feature flag from all environments by running this chatops command in
/chatops run feature delete cache_home_panel.
Close this rollout issue for the feature flag after the feature flag is removed from the codebase.
This feature can be disabled by running the following Chatops command:
/chatops run feature set --project=gitlab-org/gitlab cache_home_panel false