[Feature Flag] Enable simplified_commit_status_group_name
:simplified_commit_status_group_name feature flag. It changes the way parallel and matrix jobs are detected and reduced to a single group in certain views.
- Most appropriate slack channel to reach out to:
- Best individual to reach out to: @drew
What are we expecting to happen?
Digits will no longer be stripped out from the center and beginning of build names when being transformed into a group name. We consider this a minor edge case, and expect few projects to be affected. Within those projects, we did not identify any popular workflows that this change would break.
For the configuration:
parallel 02 17 2021 stuff: script: echo $CI_NODEX_INDEX parallel: 7
We will see:
What might happen if this goes wrong?
Some customers who are expecting their jobs to be grouped with a very specific name might see them grouped under a different name. Also, jobs that may have been grouped before could show up as two separate groups. We believe this to be a small bug, as we only add parallelization suffixes to the end of build names. It's not impossible for someone to be expecting this incidental behavior.
What can we monitor to detect problems with this?
If applicable, any groups/projects that are happy to have this feature turned on early. Some organizations may wish to test big changes they are interested in with a small subset of users ahead of time for example.
- All of gitlab.com, and wait for any bug reports that might be opened
Roll Out Steps
Enable on staging (
/chatops run feature set feature_name true --staging)
- Test on staging
- Ensure that documentation has been updated
- Update documentation as identified in #301101 (closed)
Enable on GitLab.com for individual groups/projects listed above and verify behaviour (
/chatops run feature set --project=gitlab-org/gitlab feature_name true)
Coordinate a time to enable the flag with the SRE oncall and release managers
@release-managers. Once an SRE on call and Release Manager on call confirm, you can proceed with the rollout
- Announce on the issue an estimated time this will be enabled on GitLab.com
Enable on GitLab.com by running chatops command in
/chatops run feature set feature_name true)
Cross post chatops Slack command to
#support_gitlab-com(more guidance when this is necessary in the dev docs) and in your team channel
- Announce on the issue that the flag has been enabled
- Remove feature flag and add changelog entry. Ensure that the feature flag definition YAML file has been removed in the same MR that is removing the feature flag from the code
After the flag removal is deployed, clean up the feature flag by running chatops command in
- This feature can be disabled by running the following Chatops command:
/chatops run feature set simplified_commit_status_group_name false