[Feature flag] Enable User Cap setting in Admin site
:admin_new_user_signups_cap feature flag (Self Managed only flag)
Related epic: &4315
- Team: Fulfillment
- Most appropriate slack channel to reach out to:
- Best individual to reach out to: Amparo Luna
The User cap setting will be visible to admins of SM instances. The User Cap limit will only be applied if the admin sets it to a number.
What are we expecting to happen?
If the User Cap is set, every new user will be set to the
blocked_pending_approval state. After the user is created, a
SetUserStatusBasedOnUserCapSettingWorker will be enqueued to check how many billable users are in the instance and activate the user if it's safe to do so.
What might happen if this goes wrong?
A user that should be activated remains blocked. This could be solved by going to the Pending Approval list in the Admin area and approving the user from there.
Roll Out Steps
Enable the feature by default - !49761 (merged)
Confirm that QA tests pass with the feature flag enabled (if you're unsure how, contact the relevant stable counterpart in the Quality department)
- [-] Enable on staging (
/chatops run feature set feature_name true --staging)
- [-] Test on staging
Ensure that documentation has been updated
- [-] Enable on GitLab.com for individual groups/projects listed above and verify behaviour (
/chatops run feature set --project=gitlab-org/gitlab feature_name true)
- [-] Coordinate a time to enable the flag with the SRE oncall and release managers
@release-managers. Once an SRE on call and Release Manager on call confirm, you can proceed with the rollout
- [-] Announce on the issue an estimated time this will be enabled on GitLab.com
- [-] Enable on GitLab.com by running chatops command in
/chatops run feature set feature_name true)
- [-] Cross post chatops Slack command to
#support_gitlab-com(more guidance when this is necessary in the dev docs) and in your team channel
Announce on the issue that the flag has been enabled
Remove feature flag and add changelog entry
- [-] After the flag removal is deployed, clean up the feature flag by running chatops command in
Availability & Testing
Ensure end-to-end and feature specs pass before and after feature flag is removed.
This feature can be disabled from the GitLab Rails console by running the following command: