Configure Protected Branches at the Group and Instance Level
Problem to solve
We have specific groups at Disney that have policies around their branching techniques. Currently these branching rules have to audited and applied manually. This takes hours.
We have specific groups at Disney that have policies around their branching techniques. This would allow them to save ample time configuring each repo separately, which often results in hours spent.
- Why should someone use it; what's the underlying problem. the underlying problem is it takes hr of time to configure 100+ repos.
- What is the solution. Allow group admins to configure protected branches at a group level.
- How does someone use this? Allow toggles in the settings view to allow a configuration to apply to a repo.
As a Group Maintainer I will be able to configure protected branches in an interface similar to the repository interface.
- Group Protected Branches will be inherited by all sub-groups and projects
- inherited Protected Branches cannot be disabled
- sub-group maintainers may create additional rules
- projects maintainers may create additional rules
If there are multiple rules that match a branch, every rule will be evaluated. In this way, adding more rules can only be used to increase restrictiveness.
|Mockup: configuring group protected branches||Mockup: inherited rules cannot be modified or removed|