Making Jira Transition IDs easier to configure
Problem to solve
Configuring the Jira project integration with GitLab requires the user to go to their Jira instance, grab those transition IDs by Viewing Source on a configuration page in that UI, and then copy/paste those IDs (which are raw integers) in to a list inside of GitLab's UI. This is, needless to say, not a great experience.
Every conversation I've had with customers and even GitLab internal users have noted that this configuration process is esoteric and easy to get wrong. The right solution should be to configure this setting through a fully-fledged UI that doesn't require them to visit their Jira instance at all.
Anyone currently having to configure the Jira project integration or Jira service template. (And in the near future, anyone configuring Jira group-level integrations).
This could be:
- A GitLab project, group, or instance owner
- A Jira administrator
Making this configuration simpler will...
- Make the configuration simpler, less painful, and faster to get running
- Reduce the likelihood of errors in configuration, introduced by the complexity of it's use
- Lay the groundwork for increasing the complexity with Transition IDs, such as these issues:
When a user configures the Jira project integration, group integration, or service template, they will be presented with a list of transition IDs that loads from using the previously-entered endpoint and credentials. This list shows all available Transition IDs, with all of them selected by default. From here, the user can remove any that they do not with to include.
Permissions and Security
This concept should be reviewed by the Application Security team before work begins to ensure this does not open up any new attack surfaces.
- Will require updates to our current Jira integration documentation
- Ensure that all transitions are being successfully pulled from target Jira instance
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
- User interaction metrics should show a lower time on the Jira configuration page after this is implemented
Links / references
To configure Jira we have to set a transition id which is a state that Jira referenced issue will belong after a merge request gets merged.
Transition id is not self explanatory and it is hard to find that number in Jira. I propose we show a select box with Jira available transitions on that project after the user gives url, username and password.