Remove race condition while deleting groups
What does this MR do?
The intended flow during a group deletion is:
Soft-delete group (sync) -> Delete group projects (async) -> Hard-delete group (async)
The soft-delete was run in a transaction, which was committed only after the async job (for hard-deletion) was kicked off. There was a race condition here - the soft-delete transaction could complete after the hard delete completed, leaving a soft-deleted record in the database.
This MR removes this race condition. There is no need to run the soft-delete in a transaction. The soft-delete completes before the async job is kicked off.
This MR also adds a migration to delete all existing (soft-deleted) groups left in an inconsistent state due to this bug.
Does this MR meet the acceptance criteria?
- [#23223 (closed)/!7528 (merged)] Groups not getting fully deleted / 500
- Fix the race condition
- Write a migration to remove all groups currently in limbo (marked for deletion but not deleted)
- Race condition fix
- Test migration on staging
- CHANGELOG entry created
- Documentation created/updated
- API support added
Branch has no merge conflicts with
- Squashed related commits together
- Wait for merge
What are the relevant issue numbers?
- Closes #23223 (closed)
- EE merge request: gitlab-org/gitlab-ee!886