Extended tooltip for merge request links
We are working on a ~"product discovery" in https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/50914. This issue serves as implementation issue of the final design.
Problem to solve
When hovering over a merge request link, we currently display the merge request name in the tooltip. There is an opportunity to enhance this via additional information of this merge request to get more context without having to open the actual link.
Let's enhance the tooltip by using a popover and display this additional information when hovering over merge request links.
- Status (Open/merged/closed)
- Repo and branch
- How long it has been open
|Fully specced out||Barebones||Skeleton loading|
The width of the tooltip is fixed at
The design includes the following:
- repo (namespace)
- how long it has been open
- pipeline status
A few additional things I added:
- Milestone: I think this is important to see when the MR is planned for
- Review status: inspired by Pedro's work here. I think this gives a good idea of how far towards being merged a MR is.
We wouldn't be showing extra tooltips on top of a tooltip though.
- To dos: Often we have templates with a list of "todos", checkboxes that need to be checked before an MR is merged. This too could be a good indicator of how ready the MR is.
What does success look like, and how can we measure that?
(If no way to measure success, link to an issue that will implement a way to measure this)