[META] UX Big Plan
Let’s focus on the Big picture for GitLab’s UX. It is important that we keep our day to day work focused on contributing to larger goals. It is easy to get so heads down in work that we lose sight of bigger things we are trying to accomplish as a team and company.
The intention of this issue is to set UX goals that will continue to establish and evolve GitLab’s UX. We already have OKRs for this quarter and those will need to be considered in determining which issues to take up and move forward on. However, I think there is plenty of room for us to focus on UX centric goals. Specifically, cleaning up and establishing GitLab's unique personality and voice.
The basic ground rules are:
- Each team member should think about an area they you would want to focus on and contribute to
- We must be sure to fully support our OKRs
- We should write blog post (or series of) stating our plan - declare our intentions to the community and company
- All issues we take on and create should support our plan
- We should establish a GitLab Pages for UX (design.gitlab.com) - Be visibly committed
The end goal is to have an established UX Foundation Guide.
Phase 1 - GitLab UX Foundation
- GitLab Color Pattern/System(WIP)
- Vertical Rhythm(WIP)
- Writing Style
- Illustration Style(WIP)
Phase 2 - GitLab UI Components
Phase 3 - GitLab UI Patterns
- Empty States
- Pattern Library in Brand AI