bump minimum supported Android version to 14 aka 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich
Android 4.0 aka android-14 was released on October 18, 2011, so a long time ago. android-10 had a lot of users, but 11-13 (Honeycomb) had very few. By moving to android-14 we can:
- Android support libs >=26.0 require android-14
- purge lots of special cases in the code to support only android-10.
- switch our unmaintained PreferenceFragment to the official PreferenceFragment
- ditch partially maintained SpongyCastle (its missing com.madgag.spongycastle:pkix) and use the official BouncyCastle releases.
- ditch our unmaintained fork of BottomNavigation since upstream does not want to support < 14
Uri.getQueryParameterNames()for swap URLs
By switching to android-16, we can:
- ditch jmdns and use the built-in
By switching to android-18, we can:
- use SHA-256 in the APK signatures
- purge lots of special cases in the code to support older than android-18.
Here is the count of
Build.VERSION.SDK_INT tests in the code:
- android-10: 1
- android-11: 10
- android-13: 1
- android-14: 9
- android-15: 2
- android-16: 10
- android-17: 2
- android-18: 8