Contributor guidelines / templates
How to Engage, Contribute, and Give Feedback
- Some of the best ways to contribute are to try things out, file issues, join in design conversations, and make pull-requests.
- Review current outstanding issues before submitting new ones. If an issue is important to you, give it the
👍reaction! Reactions help us prioritize outstanding issues for future milestones, comments such as "I need this!!" do nothing but bother the participants and clutter the conversation.
- Not everyone is a master of the English language. Since project development is done primarily in English, using simple wording in both issues and source code commentary helps non-native contributors better understand them; Common technical jargon is OK!
- We want the PageDriver community to be as welcoming as possible to everyone. Please try to use inclusive, gender neutral language and be polite to each other.
- Join our Discord server community.
Getting Started on GitLab
- Review our label descriptions to help navigate issues. Hovering over labels on desktop also reveals descriptions.
- Milestones (eg. %Library v1) don't exclusively cover the domain they are named after, it's simply their primary focus.
- When viewing issues, we recommend the 'Show comments only' option for the activity feed.
- GitLab power user? Check out the StyleLab repository!
Non-member submission labelling
- All submissions MUST begin with ? label
- All bug reports MUST begin as
Team specific labels
⏳for issues waiting for, or relating to features below the project's Caniuse.com threshold. Eventually this will be automated.
- All scoped 'bug' labels past step.
- Leads/caretakers only
- + denote an enhancement
- ! denote critical and immediate priority
- ? issues. 'Flow' label progress is unrelated to 'when' label state (an issue that becomes doesn't change 'Next' to 'Now'). are informal anticipated priority for milestone assignment. Don't apply 'when' to
- reference to denote ... a reference topic. Kind of a hack but better than splitting community activity between multiple locations ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Advice for leads
- Weights are guesses and optional. From trivial (1) to major projects/reworks (15).
- Example issue belonging in core library
- Better handling of generic types in populator.
- Implementation/performance improvements of existing core functionality.
- Items relating to project goals.
- MUST have domain scope label, eg. or .
👍reaction is our official "Me too!" reaction, helping us prioritize outstanding issues.
- Repeat above 'engagement' copy in
<!-- -->or pre-submission notice.
General discussion issue
- MUST have ? and labels.
- Apply/remove other topic labels as discussion evolves.
- (UNDECIDED) Non-members CANNOT submit vuln. reports, they must email firstname.lastname@example.org instead.
- MUST be marked as confidential.
- MUST have security label.
Enhancement/ Feature / Module requests
- MUST have + label
- Project leads will have final say, and either:
- approves the request. Optionally cleaning up description and applying weight, 'flow' and/or 'when' labels.
- or after providing rationale, apply the rejected label and close the issue.
- MUST have a scoped bug label
- Title MUST clearly explain unexpected behaviour
- 'Missing feature' reports that aren't regressions are 'Enhancement requests' in disguise. If issue is well written/discussed, lead MAY replace 'bug' label with + and edit appropriately. Otherwise, submitter must be made aware to resubmit as a feature request, apply and close issue.
- Reports regarding an intentional development decision or user inexperience (PEBCAK) are not considered bugs. Submitter must be made aware of this. Apply , however before closing the issue, consider the 'flow' scoped label, as this may be a symptom of lacking relevant documentation.
Template### Reproducing Attach a GIF / link a recording of the issue OR describe process step by step: 1. Step one 2. Step two ...
We highly recommend LICEcap for short GIFs.
- Is this a consistent behaviour? Yes/No
- If inconsistent, explain why (if known): N/A
- Does this also occur in development mode? Yes/No
- If this worked in a previous release, provide the tag: v#.#.#
- Release tag: v0.0.1
- Domain label: eg.
- Edition: or
If you believe you know the exact cause of this issue, and have a possible solution, mention it here.