A content editor adding an image and choosing a focal point can easily see relevant previews
Given that I am logged in as a content editor,
when I am adding an image to content
I want to see only the relevant previews so that i can adjust my focal point without being overwhelmed.
It's great but the preview is less useful than it could be because there are so many shown; the number is at increased because we need extra image styles for each responsive breakpoint.
Figured there had to be a request that Focal Point allow setting which image styles in preview, and indeed there is, for Drupal 8 and currently in Needs Review status: Limit image styles on preview page
- Wait for that issue / help with that issue / use the patch from that issue
- Rename the human-readable (not machine name) of our focal point styles ... ok, i know they don't line up one-to-one with responsive image styles, 'cause we're doing something akin to art direction in there, but still, image styles with the same aspect ratio should share a name with each other (but maybe not with the responsive image styles to reduce confusion?)
- Show only a middle-ish size for each aspect ratio. In rare cases (the square image style of Drutopia link blocks, for example) we could restrict further to just one image to preview, one aspect ratio, but for most current uses trying to restrict to only aspect ratios used for a given field is likely to miss one that is used on some view mode at some breakpoint!
(Note: I will remain confused by responsive image styles i'm sure, but, Rosemary/Nedjo did you write up our approach anywhere?)
- Test out the patch in Limit image styles on preview page
- Discuss naming approaches, i'm going with Medium square (220x220) focal point for now but it's the non-square stuff that's hard to name anyway.