Moto X 2014 XT1092 (victara): Bootloop when Secure Startup is enabled (LineageOS 17.1)
The encrypted phone should boot normally with secure startup enabled after entering the decryption password.
After entering the decryption password, the phone continues booting by displaying the boot animation, but it never finishes/bootloops. I have tried to fetch a logcat, but it does not connect to adb while bootlooping (enabled and authorised in developer options before rebooting). After a couple of minutes the phone boots into LineageOS recovery and offers to do a factory reset, since the operating system is unable to boot.
It boots normally if you encrypt the device and don't select secure startup (but this is not acceptable, since the data is freely accessible then, due to the unlocked bootloader). Once I managed to get it booting by connecting the charger while the device was bootlooping. But I was not able to reproduce this workaround a second time, so this may have been pure coincidence. It seems that there is a certain chance that it boots up fine the very first time after enabling Secure Startup. But all (?) subsequent reboots seem to result in a bootloop.
After continous testing, I was not able to reproduce this issue without installing Google apps, so it actually seems to be related to the installation of Open GApps. It even occurs, if you install the bare minimum by using the following
Steps to Reproduce
- Clean install LineageOS and Open GApps and go through the setup process without setting a lockscreen password.
- Encrypt the device (Settings > Security > Encryption & credentials > Encrypt phone > Connect charger > Encrypt phone)
- Set a lockscreen password (Settings > Security > Screen lock > Password) and select "Yes" once you get asked, if you want to enable Secure Startup.
- Reboot the phone.
- Enter your decryption password.
- Watch the boot animation / bootloop.
/device victara /version lineage-17.1 /date 2020-06-05 /kernel 3.4.113-rb1.15-g52670df /baseband MSM8974BP_42352121.25.09.24R /mods open_gapps-arm-10.0-pico-20200606
I have read the directions.