WIP: Better default weapon priority
This is a suggestion after a bit of discussion on IRC and I'd appreciate constructive feedback. I mainly care about pure vanilla weapons though i attempted to place newtoys weaps in sensible places. The reasoning is this:
- deva, vortex and mortar are the primary weapons in most gamemodes and comboing them is very important, so these main 3 weaps should be at the top of the priority list and they should be together to allow switching with prev/next binds. Yes, some parts of the community are vehemently against using the mouse wheel but i see no harm in allowing it and certainly no benefit in making it impossible.
- electro and crylink are still fairly powerful but they're more situational (plus electro is very strong in CA and crylink comes handy in CTF)
- the rest have their uses (even hagar in rare circumstances) but they don't typically see much use when better weapons are available so they should be at the bottom.
The specific order without these groups is not very important, though i'd argue vortex should be between mortar and deva since vortex+mortar and vortex+deva combos are more common than mortar+deva (this is experience from public servers and a lot of CTF, players who wish to move on to XPM/duel are exepcted to be competent enough to change their settings accordingly).
The priorities have these uses to my knowledge:
- autoswitch on pickup (this is the least important since it's the least likely to happen in a fight and when people learn the waepons we should encourage them to disable it completely)
- autoswitch when running out of ammo
- switching with prev/next
- switching when weapons are on the same bind (e.g. tuba vs blaster)
I haven't looked at the other priority cvars, they might need updating if this order is accepted. We should also consider changing the weapon order in the menu and default binds to match the new priority order. After that, we might consider enabling
cl_weaponpriority_useforcycling by default for easier experimentation (people might miss the checkbox and it won't matter by default since all orders will match) and moving the weapons "submenu" menu into a "tab" next to Input.