Random varying click delay
Some people get a delay where if they click, it doesn't shoot immediately but after a delay. This delay varies in duration.
This is different from the high ping click delay. If you click on a moving enemy with a hitscan weapon when you have a high ping, it hits the enemy after a time, but with this delay, it shoots wherever the mouse is after the delay.
I think this also affects vanilla weapons, particularly strongly the devastator secondary, vortex and electro. It is less noticeable with other vanilla weapons With electro I sometimes hold the secondary fire button down for a long time and it only shoots one or two turds. With the devastator, it is extremely difficult to properly do a midair jump, and sometimes the right click detonate flat out doesn't detonate it, possibly because it's so delayed that it hits a wall/flies off the map before it detonates.
This makes it very difficult to hit people, as you have no idea when and where the shots will go. Some examples of shit situations that I have experienced because of this delay:
- I click, and wait for my weapon to shoot into a corridor where an enemy is, but by the time it finally shoots and arrives at the corridor, the enemy has had time to move to and come out of another corridor
- I position my mouse over an enemy with a vaporizer, click, the enemy has time to strafe out and back into my crosshair and shoot me before my vaporizer finally fires
- I look down, shoot and try to detonate a devastator, in an attempt to boost myself up and avoid falling, but instead I fall to the ground, and it only shoots once I hit the ground
- I strafe out from behind a wall, click, strafe back behind a wall, it finally shoots and kills me because I am now facing a wall
I also had this problem on local servers, but it could not be consistently reproduced. This problem got massively improved to the point where insta was playable again when I upgraded to a ryzen 5 2400G
This appears pretty random, and is in my experience hard to consistently reproduce, but there are several factors that seem to contribute to this.
- The server (The regulars is particularly bad. Ping is not a factor that affects this, although it's harder to notice on high ping servers because it is already quite delayed there in another way normally. Can also happen in single player and local servers)
- Ping and pl of the player you are shooting at(Yes, the player that you are shooting at)
- Hardware (More on this next)
Hardware This issue appears to be hardware-specific, as software configuration, including reinstalling os(At least on linux) don't seem to fix it, and it can stop happening on the exact same software setup (Literally same os install), on different hardware. I am not sure if this happens on windows. While the issue is hardware specific, it doesn't seem to be related to performance. Some very bad(Barely playable fps at unplayable graphics settings and resolution) pcs do not get this, other high end ones do. I had this on my amd a10-7850k system with both a nvidia gt 740 and integrated graphics. I did not have this on a pentium e2160. I have this to a massively smaller scale where it does not even make a difference on a ryzen 5 2400G with both integrated graphics and a radeon vii. Bw has this to a small but noticeable scale with an intel i5-7400 and a nvidia gtx 1070.
So far, people that seem to have this are me, bw and that korean gear guy