Switching GEMW to a dedicated extension
The current GEMW model is server intensive in terms of the large amount of database storage it takes up, API usage and parsing time, including for Scribunto. The pre-fork wiki often couldn't handle the amount of processing required.
- Increase cpuLimit and memoryLimit in Scribunto config until all errors go away as a temporary fix. This opens us to usage creep where higher and higher limits may be needed, as well as increasing overall resources needed by the servers.
- Take advantage of native Scribunto functions that have had to be horrible hacks on the wiki, such as JSON parsing to reduce resource usage.
- Integrate Graphoid to generate graph thumbnails and provide a preloaded graph for Exchange pages, as currently in-list graphs seem to be affected by Scribunto limits.
- Write a MediaWiki extension to handle the GEMW.
- Possibly to provide the Graphoid integration.
- Better storage backend (reduce storage requirements to the actual price/volume updates and their time-stamps).
- Better updating, either in the form of a server-side background task or at least a better API for GEMW updating bots, such as batch updating.
- Provide a native Scribunto function to avoid parser and Scribunto overhead.
- Provide API access points and caching as needed for wiki GEMW interfacing JS, possibly preload the data into the generated HTML.
To upload designs, you'll need to enable LFS and have an admin enable hashed storage. More information