"Merge to [branch]..." should pre-select the chosen commit's branch or tag name
By [email protected] on April 18, 2011 13:47 (imported from Google Code)
What steps will reproduce the problem?
- "Show Log" on your working tree
- Right-click on a named commit (i.e. pointed to by a branch or tag)
- In the context menu, click "Merge to [branch]..."
What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
- If the selected commit to merge from is referenced by a named branch or a tag, both drop-down lists for "Branch" and "Tags" in the "Merge" dialog should pre-select the chosen commit's friendly name.
- The primary intention is to have a sensible default commit message, i.e. it should be pre-filled with "Merge branch '[...]'" instead of "Merge commit '[...]'". This reduces the number of actions required to merge specific branches.
- Maybe also have the radio button for "Branch" pre-selected if the commit has a branch name, or "Tag" if it has a tag name, otherwise "Version" (in this order).
What version of the product are you using? On what operating system?
git version 22.214.171.124.msysgit.0
Windows 7 x64
Please provide any additional information below.