Revision comparisons against HEAD should not generate temporary files
By vedr... on April 25, 2014 23:37 (imported from Google Code)
What steps will reproduce the problem?
- Open the Revision Graph through the right-click context menu
- Select one branch that is the parent/grandparent of HEAD
- Hold ctrl and select HEAD
- Right click on either of the selected branches and choose "Compare Revisions"
- Now double click on any of the files in the Changed Files dialog that popped up
What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
The difftool displays a diff of two files, both of which are temporarily files, even though one of the files is actually unchanged in the working state on HEAD. The file that corresponds to HEAD should not be re-created as a temporary file prior to the diff.
This is troublesome when doing code reviews, when you may want to edit the file you are comparing if a bug is discovered.
The workaround for this is to replace the "Difference between" value in the "Changed files" dialog from the commit hash of HEAD to 00000000000000000000000000000000000000.
Then TortoiseGit will recognize the long string of 0's as the working copy, and not create a temporary file for the diff.
What version of TortoiseGit and msysgit are you using? On
what operating system?
Using TortoiseGit 184.108.40.206 64-bit, msysgit version 1.9.2 on Windows 7 64-bit.