As of 17 April, 2019, I am no longer going to be working on enyo-doom. I feel that I have taken it as far as it will go, feature-wise, and any attempts to change or rethink it to a better form has failed. If anyone wants to take it and improve or change it, you're welcome to it -- it's GPL code, after all. (Edit: since I wrote this, there have been two updates as of 17 September, 2020 to fix and tweak some minor things. I still consider the project complete, but I do still actually use enyo-doom myself, and when things aren't right, they need fixing!)
Enyo-Doom started life a long time ago, around 2005, when I started using the Doomsday engine in GNU/Linux and found that, unlike the Windows version, it did not have a convenient front end/launcher and one had to launch it manually from a commandline. Of course, as a GNU/Linux user, this wasn't exactly a big problem, but I was lazy and wanted a real launcher like the Windows version. So using GTK+ and C, I put together a very rudimentary launcher for Doomsday that resembled the Windows launcher named "gDoomsday" (GTK Doomsday) and made it available on SourceForge (which was the standard place to host such things at the time) under the GPL, as any decent GNU/Linux user would do. Over the next few years, I made fixes and refinements to the code, releasing several versions, until I ran up against something that needed fixing: gDoomsday, I felt, not only was piggybacking on the Doomsday name, making it seem like it was actually a part of that project, which it was not, so the name needed to be changed. Furthering this argument, Doomsday also moved to a new code base and used its own multiplatform launcher, known as Snowberry, so the usefulness of a separate launcher was lessened, and the new code base I didn't care much for at all (it seemed to be very buggy compared to the original), so I began to use other Doom engines (also without launchers) in GNU/Linux, making the name a lie.
At this point, I wanted to expand Enyo-Doom to be able to handle more game types (and custom game configurations, so a certain PWAD or PWADs could be set as a separate game type) and the ability to add more engines. But my problem was that I was running up against a huge wall in the insane mess that was the GTK+ C code. Working with GTK+ on gDoomsday/Enyo-Doom has made me swear off making applications in GTK+ forever. The problem was, I am a C programmer, and GTK+ is really the only major, flexible graphic toolkits that can use plain C. After considering many other insane things, I decided that Qt looked good enough to at least try, and I figured I could stick in a bunch of C-isms in the middle of C++ code that I'm sure any C++ programmer who looks at Enyo-Doom's code would have several heart attacks because of how it ignores how C++ does things through the entire thing (global variables instead of classes!). But as a C programmer, I just don't like object-oriented programming and how C++ does things. So even if it is against everything C++ is about, I'm going to do it anyway.
I went into the rewrite knowing in the back of my mind that I will never finish it given how incredibly lazy I am, and expected to end up trashing it all and just leaving Enyo-Doom where it was. Imagine my surprise when I actually completed a bare-bones yet working version in a fairly short amount of time. It was a huge learning process, trying to not only figure out Qt, but C++'s quirks as well, and in the end, I didn't even have a good way to compile it since trying to get autoconf/automake to play well with Qt/C++ was a nightmare to me; the first C++ release essentially had a script with the instructions "compile it yourself, good luck". Soon afterwards, though, I discovered and quickly learned how to use CMake, and I suddenly had an easy to compile, build, and install package again.
On top of everything else I was learning, Google Code started to shut down, leaving me with nowhere to host Enyo-Doom. Until this point, I simply distributed Enyo-Doom as a tarball. Putting up code online started to gravitate to version control sites such as Github, but my attitude was that my project was too small and only done by a single person, and there was no point in using Git at all. I wanted to find another site that would host just tarballs, but in the end I gave in and learned Git as well, which did generate its own tarballs of my work at my request, but it wasn't as easy as uploading a single tarball file. The final move came when Gitlab arrived and promised a much better environment to host Free software projects, so moving to it was a very easy decision.
Since then, I've just done some revisions to the code here and there, and now I feel like it's pretty much over. If I ever find some horrible bug or insecure code in the future, I will probably come back and fix that, at least, but if not, I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out.
Thanks to everyone who used Enyo-Doom. I wrote it for myself and still use it for myself, as I am its primary user and critic. It makes me feel good that I see it here and there across the internet where other people are actually using a silly little hacked-together launcher I started ages ago to play the original Doom.
It's been fun.