Reevaluate xp by map/monster not globally
Everyone agrees that the experience system that kro originally created is undesirable. It was a bad system. Origin's solution is to take that system, multiple everything by 5 and then apply the unique master account bonus if applicable. Problem is that this really doesn't fix things. It lets us level faster than we would otherwise, but it doesn't fix anything.
The base experience that monsters give was flawed. Very flawed. So flawed that 90% of the maps in the game are always left empty with everyone always going to that last 10% The GM team clearly agrees with this on some level otherwise motd would not exist. I propose reevaluating the experience that monsters give based on the following factors.
- Does it require a quest to get there? If so the monsters should give more xp. When partying with people there is a 99% chance that one person hasn't done the quest. This means that you either go somewhere else or wait for the time it takes for them to do the quest. This is a real barrier to level on this map.
- How long does it take to get there? Harder to reach places should give more xp
- Dungeon or field? Dungeons should have a xp boost on their maps. Why? Because you can't just memo the map. You can't bwing back to town everytime buffs end, or you need an endow. You can't just save at the inn to solve sp problems. You can't easily get to the kafra when you go overweight. Dungeon maps should give more xp to compensate for this.
- The monster itself. This is a little more complicated, but you should look for factors that make a monster harder or longer to kill and then increase their xp based on that. One easy example is if they aren't weak to anything. Virtually none of the neutral or poison element monsters are worth hunting for experience. Why? Because you kill them much slower than a monster you have the element for. Think clock vs alarm. They are similar hp/xp but clock takes 175% from fire and alarm is weak to nothing. Alarm needs to be a fair chunk more xp than a clock for it to be worth the extra time it takes to kill, but currently their xp is virtually the same.
- The other monsters on the map. If the monsters on the map are all different sizes, races, elements from each other where you can't make a good weapon to kill everything then it's very likely that the monsters on the map should give more xp.
Lets look at Amatsu Dungeon 3 for example. To level there you need to...
- Requires a quest. In this case it's not a long quest, but it is there and if you ever want to level with other people there is that 99% chance that at least one of them hasn't done the quest. This means that you either go somewhere else or you just wait for 20min while they do the quest. Monsters here need an xp boost.
- You have to walk through the maze that is level 1. You have to walk through it to start leveling, and then you have to walk through it again when you run out of pots or arrows or just become overweight. This takes time. Depending on your class you might have to go back to town fairly often. Monsters here need an xp boost.
- It's a dungeon not a field. You can't have it memoed on your priest and can't just warp the character you are leveling to the map. You can't just bwing back to town when buffs go down or need an endow or need sp from the inn or a scholar. So if you are soloing you are way down on resources compared to a field map. Monsters here need an xp boost.
- The monster itself. The paper is weak to nothing, so it takes longer to kill. Monster needs an xp boost
- The other monsters on the map. Tengu is Large, Earth and Demon. Shinobi is Medium, Dark and demi human. The paper is weak to nothing. So your weapon/element isn't effective on most monsters on the map no matter what. Monsters here need an xp boost.
Since Amatsu Dungeon 3 hits all 5 of the negatives the monster there should give far more xp than they do. Otherwise there is just no reason to go there for xp. It will never be worth it when compared to going to say seals. If I go to seals I don't need a quest, I can just memo the map, save at the inn and just bwing back to town for buffs/endows/kafra. I can make one weapon at use it to kill every seal on the map with no other relevant monsters to get in my way.
I want more maps to be viable. increasing the xp on a global level will never accomplish that because the best places will always be the best places. It has to be fixed at a local level. Otherwise anything that ups mermen also ups seals and so mermen will never be worth going to over seals. Additionally, currently it's very hard for small roaming parties to be worth it compared to soloing. Even with the master account bonus. Making the dungeons better (maps more geared toward parties) it will encourage roaming parties over just soloing and using all your alts out of party in town to help you level.
There is so many places that should be fun to level at that just aren't worth it. The game currently really does punish us for wanting to go to different maps or doing small parties. We are just so encouraged to either solo on these easy field maps or just go to stalactic golums. Again, why go to Prison1 and have to fight demons, demi humans, insects, brute and undead monsters all on 1 map while losing the ability to have all my alts out of party, the inn and the kafra right there when I can get better xp just going to high orcs?
This system is a guide not a law. Not every monster should have it's xp changed based on this. Pasanas, for example, seem fine as they are. But I do feel strongly that a large amount of monsters should have their xp readjusted based on this.
Thanks for reading this book.