Dogfood 2019-06-11 Notes/Issues to Look Into
Dogfooding on Meltano v0.27 following instructions at: https://meltano.com/docs/quickstart.html
YouTube video of this dogfooding session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC5moQoH1W0
- @dmor [DOCUMENTATION] "Connecting Data Sources" step https://meltano.com/docs/quickstart.html#connecting-data-sources needs instructions for which tap to select (Carbon Intensity) to complete the quickstart. (So strange not having this, was this removed?)
- @dmor [DOCUMENTATION] After completing my target selection, the UI forces me to a page demanding Airflow installation. This does not currently match the docs (which go straight to running the ELT). We should warn the user so they don't get confused
- @dmor [DOCUMENTATION] Need to update the link to go to the installing airflow instructions in the quickstart? (not sure, but at least should make sure this info all matches up)
- @dmor [DOCUMENTATION] Probably should tell the user to turn ON the toggle for the DAG they created?
- @dmor [FOLLOWUP] After adding the model, I used control+c to kill and it didn't work. Will I need to go manually kill individual pids?
- @dmor [PRODUCT] Analyze works, but this data set is so confusing... what am I even looking at? How can I just see all the data so I can see the headers and construct a query that actually makes sense? This doesn't seem like a great demo data set... we need something where the first useful query is obvious
- @dmor [FOLLOWUP] Unclear if all the data has been pulled in. Did my ETL pull everything including backfill?
- @dmor [FOLLOWUP] I can see that Airflow is running something in the background related to "INFO - Harvesting DAG parsing results" but my DAG is "OFF" so what is this? (My guess: backfilling -- and if we are going to do this we should let the user configure it in the UI)
- @dmor [PRODUCT] "Save" path on an analyze result is unclear -- you name the results and then you name a dashboard?
- @dmor [WRITE ISSUE] I created a dashboard from Analyze, but when I go to Dashboards it is not clickable and still shows the empty state note telling me to create a dashboard
- @dmor [PRODUCT] "Save" versus "Save As" path is confusing, easy to save over a report I didn't mean to
- @dmor [WRITE ISSUE] Seems like saving to a dashboard I create from Dashboards works, but one created from Analyze might not. Need to investigate in more detail.
- @dmor [DOCUMENTATION] Need to update docs with example queries to run and screenshots of results
- @dmor [PRODUCT] Need to think about a better example data set (there are TONS of open data sets)