When to manually call Start mining
- Under normal conditions, there is no need for you to call start mining manually at all as the node calls this method instead of you during the start-up process. However normal conditions are not always present and these few edge cases when you must call start mining manually are described here
If node start-up process fails
- As we all know sometimes unexpected things happens in software, you might successfully boot-up your node, but other nodes from some reason did not receive AccountMining event emitted by
startMiningfunction that you just automatically called. As a result, you were not voted as validator and therefore you cannot take part in mining process and earn rewards...
- If this should happen, you will simply notice that even though you vested in chain and joined network as a validator, you are simply not receiving any rewards + after some time you will see on the terminal message:
As of block: ... you are not registered as validator on geth level. Please control this by attaching to the rpc port of your node and call istanbul.GetValidators(). In case your node is running for more than 10 minutes and you are not voted as validator, please call StartMining on Lition SicechainManger here: https://www.lition.io/sidechainmanager/ and you will be automatically voted as validator by other nodes.
- You can validate that it is really what happened by Reloading Users details in the left panel and see if
Miningparameter is set to true
- To understand what all parameters in the left panel mean, please check Chain-and-User-details-parameters wiki
- Important !!! It might be caused just by some delay, so please give it at least 15 minutes to recover by itself and continue with following steps after this timeout in case the issue did not disappear
- If you see this message, please do not shut down your node, leave it running, go to the Interact with sidechain section in Lition sidechain manager
- Click on Mining
- And manually call
startMiningeven if the manager says: Your address is currently mining.
startMiningis confirmed, you should see on terminal that your node received AccountMining event with your account as all other nodes did and they will vote you as a validator.