The entire schematic could not be loaded. Errors occurred attempting to load hierarchical sheets., KiCad Version: (6.0.6), release build
I was working with a hierarchical schematic and PCB. I had made many changes. I had been editing schematic symbols and PCB foot prints. I closed the schematic and attempted to reopen it.
The top level schematic was loaded and all but one of the sub sheets loaded. The sub sheet with the invalid library identifier called out in the error dialog was empty. Attempting to open the symbol editor produced a similar error too. Screen shots of these errors are in our project issue located at: https://github.com/PubInv/general-alarm-device/issues/34
Steps to reproduce
- The project developed this issue after I had made many hours with of local changes and commits and finally a push to our project at: https://github.com/PubInv/general-alarm-device/tree/main/Hardware/GeneralPurposeAlarmDevicePCB/GeneralPurposeAlarmDevicePCB
- However I discovered during my work that an important KiCad 6 file was not added to the project. The project local file: GPAD_SCH_LIB.kicad_sym
- I was editing it to try to fix my guess at the cause of the problem a symbol name containing a "/" when I discovered that the file was not under version control. I therefore do not have except as screen shots of part of the file as opened in Notepad++ the file which broke the load. The screen shots are to be found at the link in item 1 above.
- The resolution to my broken symbol and the broken schematic details are found at the same issue again here: https://github.com/PubInv/general-alarm-device/issues/34
I was asking for help at the KiCad forum at this topic here: https://forum.kicad.info/t/invalid-library-identifier-schematic-page-not-load-fixed/36824/3 Participants there said this was a known bug yet when I searched on the "exact" error message I had no hits there nor here so I made this issue.
Sorry but, I do not have a simple project with which to duplicate the problem at this time. I do not have a way to duplicate the problem with the project on which I was working. I only had the energy on 20220424 to capture the errors and my work fixing the problem in our project.
I think my notes on fixing the problem show the root cause to be that I edited and broke an existing symbol name to include a "/" (as in "3/8") as the root cause. I had to cut out of the sub sheet schematic with a text editor the broken component before the sub sheet would load.
Application: KiCad (64-bit) Version: (6.0.6), release build Libraries: wxWidgets 3.1.6 libcurl/7.82.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.12 Platform: Windows 10 (build 19043), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW Build Info: Date: Jun 18 2022 23:26:20 wxWidgets: 3.1.6 (wchar_t,wx containers) Boost: 1.79.0 OCC: 7.6.0 Curl: 7.82.0-DEV ngspice: 37 Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI Build settings: KICAD_USE_OCC=ON KICAD_SPICE=ON