Blather is a speech recognizer that will run commands when a user speaks preset sentences.
- gstreamer-0.10 (and what ever plugin has pocket sphinx support)
- gstreamer-0.10 base plugins (required for alsa)
- pyside (only required for the Qt based UI)
- pygtk (only required for the Gtk based UI)
- pyyaml (only required for reading the options file)
Note: it may also be required to install
- move commands.tmp to ~/.config/blather/commands.conf and fill the file with sentences and command to run
- Run Blather.py, this will generate ~/.config/blather/sentences.corpus based on sentences in the 'commands' file
- quit blather (there is a good chance it will just segfault)
- go to http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/tools/lmtool.html and upload the sentences.corpus file
- download the resulting XXXX.lm file to the ~/.config/blather/language directory and rename to file to 'lm'
- download the resulting XXXX.dic file to the ~/.config/blather/language directory and rename to file to 'dic'
- run Blather.py
- for Qt GUI, run Blather.py -i q
- for Gtk GUI, run Blather.py -i g
- for Gtk Tray GUI, run Blather.py -i gt
- to start a UI in 'continuous' listen mode, use the -c flag
- to use a microphone other than the system default, use the -m flag
- start talking
Note: to start Blather without needing to enter command line options all the time, copy options.yaml.tmp to ~/.config/blather/options.yaml and edit accordingly.
once the sentences.corpus file has been created, run the language_updater.sh script to automate the process of creating and downloading language files.
To run blather with the GTK UI and start in continuous listen mode:
./Blather.py -i g -c
To run blather with no UI and using a USB microphone recognized and device 2:
./Blather.py -m 2
To have blather pass the matched sentence to the executing command:
explanation: if the commands.conf contains: good morning world : example_command.sh then 3 arguments, 'good', 'morning', and 'world' would get passed to example_command.sh as
example_command.sh good morning world
To run a command when a valid sentence has been detected:
./Blather.py --valid-sentence-command=/path/to/commandnote: this can be set in the options.yml file
To run a command when a invalid sentence has been detected:
./Blather.py --invalid-sentence-command=/path/to/commandnote: this can be set in the options.yml file
Finding the Device Number of a USB microphone
There are a few ways to find the device number of a USB microphone.