Add small screenshots to the Features of Inkscape page
There is a lot of room for improvement of this page, but the quickest and impactful change might be to illustrate some points listed there.
By small screenshots I mean parts of the Inkscape canvas and toolbars relevant to the bullet item. The goal is to communicate a specific feature so you should adjust what ever you can to show it, and exclude everything else. Pay attention to the window size, page size, font size, zoom levels, canvas position etc. Small nuggets work best for this page.
For example here is one for the Pencil tool:
- I decided on which toolbars are relevant to show,
- adjusted the page size (ruler visible) and zoom level to the parts of the toolbars I wanted to show,
- panned the canvas over to the corner with relevant tool buttons,
- selected the Pencil tool, adjusted the options to produce an attractive/impressive but understandable shape (I remember that tapered strokes were an important wish-list item for many, before it was implemented),
- I prepared a screenshots tool, I found GIMP to be the best because so far it's the only one that includes the actual cursor from Inkscape as I see it on screen (Inkcsape has specialized tool cursors, other screenshot apps change the cursor to the default one, best to avoid),
- I gave myself enough delay in GIMP to draw the shape in Inkscape and keep the cursor in place so GIMP can take the pic (coming back to the point after it's been created shows a tooltip that is not relevant here, so I had to order the actions this way),
- Crop and Save for web (set it so you get smallest file size without losing quality visually).
Next step is to insert into the page. It would be nice to have it displayed as scaled down like a thumb, and show full size on click, doesn't have to create a new smaller px size file because this one is small enough (18 kb). @doctormo any comments on this?
Some other suggestions:
- Pen tool (Bezier, Shape None, taken as you draw to show the latest segment in red)
- Ellipses (show variants in one screenshot)
- stars/polygons (show variants in one screenshot)
- Text tool
- Clones (take 2 screenshots and combine into one image, before and after, Tiled clones with some number of them to show interesting effects, then change some property to show how it propagates)
- add more...