Select a new reference point for object coordinates (basepoint)
It would be nice to be able to change the basepoint of an editing operation on a shape/object. It would work in a similar manner to the one we have in Scribus (see Additional Information). It really helps with the alignment of objects to other points on the page not including 0,0.
I find drawing up a website or exacting diagram difficult without being able to say "set the right side of this object to this point". This really helps combat the cartesian coordinates which seem completely foreign too, but thats another story.
Inkscape Version and Operating System:
- Inkscape Version: N/A
- Operating System: N/A
- Operating System version: N/A
- For those not familiar with Scribus, here is a screenshot of the aforementioned "Basepoint":
- Adobe's version:
- Original reporter Cbradney replies to the suggestion of using the pivot point and/or Align and Distribute panel as a solution...
No, I would like to be able to place an object by 5 or 9 points of its frame/bounding box. Eg, as I said, being able to set the right side to X=123, Y=456 rather than having to work out 123-width(which might be unknown for the future). Also, if you set the basepoint to the top right and type in width, it would keep the top right where it is and change the width to the left. As I said, see Scribus for its similar operation.
- Derek Kalinosky wrote (included for the engineers here)...
Part of my job duties are making Photopolymer Cliches for pad printing. To do this, I have to center the art around a certain point or registration will be impossible on the print machine. Snapping to guides isn't a solution as the cost in time/materials for remaking film/plates are not worth it. This is the last feature for me to switch over to using Inkscape in a production setting.
- All arcane descriptions and use-cases aside, I believe the requested feature can already be achieved in Inkscape but using different methods: combinations of guides, pivot point, Align and Transform and Arrange. Yet, the above paradigm does have its advantages being cleaner and more immediate from the outset.