prevent the ability to draw invisible objects
Migrated from: https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1704777
Steps to reproduce:
- open Inkscape 1.0 beta2 using the default prefs file (meaning that tools are all set for Last Used Style)
- draw something and make it completely transparent
- use the same tool and draw it again
You can't see it, because it's transparent.
What should have happened?
This should not be possible.
This is the single most common problem that we see posted in forums. I proposed what should be a simple solution, but baffling to me, developers were opposed to it. I cannot relate the entire, very long discussions which were had about it. But to facilitate migrating the report to GL, I will quote the suggested fix for it, which is the most agreeable.
"So let me propose a third solution which I think might be most appropriate for many users:
Add a third radio button that allows to set "Last used style (per session)" or "Last used style (per document)".
The way I imagine this to work is that a tool will continue to use the last used style while I work on an SVG. The next time I start Inkscape / open a new document the tool will revert to its "own style" which I can set to sane defaults that are a good starting point for all graphics.
Wether to implement it as "per session" or "per document" I'd make dependent on how difficult either of the options are to implement."
I didn't quite understand your suggestion about "last used per session"
- Fire up Inkscape -> the tools will use their "own style". [note - I think he meant "last used per session" here]
- Now draw a rectangle (or whatever) and color it pale lilac with 50% transparency
- The tool will now continue to use this new style in the opened window
- Close Inkscape
- Open Inkscape again -> the tools will have reverted to use their "own style". [note - I think he meant "last used per session" here too]
This way one can have the convenience of tools remembering a style during one session, but they will revert to their default style the next time one uses Inkscape, reverting any "strange" styling that might have been set the last time Inkscape was used."
So if we can't simply have the tools set for Own Style by default (meaning the first time we ever open Inkscape), this sounds like the next best way to prevent newbies drawing invisible objects or thinking their tools are broken.
The sooner we can do this, the better it is for Inkscape's reputation!
Thanks for listening!