Excessive Memory Usage (23GB Virtual, 530MB Resident) after 2 months
Thanks for filing an issue! Please answer the questions below so I can help you.
- iTerm2 version: 3.2.7
- OS version: 10.14.3
- I don't have a debug log
Detailed steps to reproduce the problem:
- Open iTerm2
- Configure unlimited scrollback
- Leave it open for a month or two (don't judge me
- Open many windows and tabs (I currently have 7 windows open, 28 tabs, 88 panes)
- Perform common tasks: tmux, ssh, accidentally run
yesand struggle to close it (this was from a tmux integration window), copy large chunks (several megs) of text out of the terminal window, run long-running programs with a decent amount of output
- Clear scrollback on all tabs and windows, close some of them, copy something small (a few words) from somewhere
Even after clearing scrollback, closing many windows, copying a small word (replacing any large text that was copied out of iTerm2), etc. iTerm memory usage remains at 23GB virtual.
What should have happened:
Surely the memory usage should be much less than 23GB, especially after clearing the scrollback and closing some windows. I can say pretty confidently that the largest scrollback buffer couldn't have been more than a few tens of MiBs.