UTS51 text presentation style selector no longer honored
Thanks for filing an issue! Please answer the questions below so I can help you.
- iTerm2 version:
- OS version:
- Attach com.googlecode.iterm2.plist here (drag-drop from finder into this window):
done, after confirming bug reproduces with clean slate, so attached clean slate
- See first comment below
- Attach a debug log, if possible. Instructions at https://iterm2.com/debuglog
- Are you reporting a performance issue or a hang?
- Are you reporting a crash?
- Are you reporting excessive memory usage?
Detailed steps to reproduce the problem:
- Emit 0x2639 UTF-8 (
WHITE FROWNING FACE) followed by a UTS#51 Presentation Style (text vs emoji) selector
- See that it makes no difference, the emoji variant is shown always
- If you want the tooling I used, then it's https://github.com/philpennock/character
character code -b 16 2639
character code -T -b 16 2639
character code -E -b 16 2639
- Pipe any of those through
od -tx1to confirm that the sequences are emitted
I saw the color emoji variation every time.
What should have happened:
The use of the text presentation style selector, immediately following the emoji candidate, should have rendered the old dingbat-style glyph.
I'm pretty sure that I developed the support for presentation styles in
character while using iTerm, and that this used to work and is a regression. I've confirmed that it still works in Terminal, so it's not a core OS rendering regression.