Cannot use password manager with heroku login command
Thanks for filing an issue! Please answer the questions below so I can help you.
- iTerm2 version: 3.2.20180723-nightly
- OS version: 10.12.6 (16G1510)
- Attach ~/Library/Preferences/com.googlecode.iterm2.plist here (drag-drop from finder into this window)
- Attach a debug log, if possible. Instructions at https://iterm2.com/debuglog
- Are you reporting a performance issue or a hang? Please attach a sample. Instructions at https://gitlab.com/gnachman/iterm2/wikis/HowToSample
- Are you reporting a crash? Please attach the crash log. Instructions at https://gitlab.com/gnachman/iterm2/wikis/crash-logs
- Are you reporting excessive memory usage? Please attach a heap analysis: https://gitlab.com/gnachman/iterm2/wikis/heapshot
Detailed steps to reproduce the problem:
- Create a Heroku account if you don't already have one
- Download and install the Heroku CLI https://devcenter.heroku.com/categories/command-line
- Add your Heroku password to the iTerm2 password manager
heroku loginand try to login using the password manager
heroku login command echos
* for characters, which makes iTerm2 think that the password is being echoed. It gives the option to enter the password anyway, but when you do this, it doesn't work.
Based on what is happening, it looks like iTerm2 enters two characters to see if they are echoed, and when the password is entered, those two characters aren't deleted (the password when entering from the password manager is three characters longer than when I just paste it).
Probably heroku should be using a normal getpass, but iTerm2 could probably be smarter here as well.