Verify: How to name a new feature
What’s this issue all about?
Trying to find out how to name a new keyword in GitLab CI/CD that would allow users to build their code every time another project (one they depend on say) is built or released.
What questions are you trying to answer?
But, basically the question is:
If you’re building an application that relies on another project or library, which of these keywords best identifies that relationship in your application’s pipeline:
- Other (please specify)
What assumptions do you have?
triggered-by is the worst/least descriptive of the three, and there will be strong opinions about
What decisions will you make based on the research findings?
Will take the results as the name for this feature (for now at least...MVC
What's the latest milestone that the research will still be useful to you?
Honestly, this is super late as we want to ship this in %11.9...
- 38 out of 91 users (42%) selected
Upstreamas the most likely name used to identify a relationship in their application's pipeline.
- The most common reason for choosing
Upstreamwas because it is a familiar term already used in different companies/projects, and it's common nomenclature from a Git perspective.
- 25 participants (27%) selected they would use a different name for this feature other than the ones we provided. The majority of "Other" answers were terms related to
dependency(other variations like
depends). 17 out of 25 participants suggested the term
Dependency. Their reason for suggesting this option was that because the relationship between projects is dependent.
- Create test in Usability Hub [Deadline: Mon March 4th]
- Send test to test segment of GitLab First Look users [Deadline: Mon March 4th]
- Send test to full segment of GitLab First Look users [Deadline: Tues March 5th]
- Review results and share update in issue [Deadline: Fri March 8th]