Jira import research
What’s this issue all about?
The goals of this research are to understand the pain points with our current process in enabling users to import issues from Jira as well as to validate ideas and possible approaches for the next phase.
Who is the target user of the feature?
Who is the target of this research?
Parker - Product Manager
Other target users
Current customers looking to complete a migration from Jira to GitLab
Prospective customers looking to migrate from Jira to GitLab
What questions are you trying to answer?
- Who wants to import from JIRA to GitLab?
- Why are they importing? (for testing? Migrating to GitLab? Wanting to save a client from leaving GitLab.).
- What do they want to import specifically?
- What do they expect to come over in the import (what is mandatory)?
- Do they want full/one time only import, segmented or progressive import?
- What are the exceptions of import types?
- Will my issues be updated over time?
- Will I need to start over every time? Would that cause frustration/duplication?
- What are the pain points with the new import process?
- Impact of and expectations surrounding there being multiple copies when importing the same project more than once
- What do users expect to happen with items in terms of epics?
- Where else do users expect these import options to surface in the product?
- What are the next most important features to make this more valuable to the user?
- For Premium and higher users, how would you expect epics to be imported?
- What are users expectations in terms of custom fields when importing issues?
- Discovery surrounding the process of merging issues (potentially)?
- The value/need for cross referencing commits and issues (see this comment).
- Best initial approach for user mapping management - JSON importer or GUI?
- Understanding the level of need for importing and project creation occurring at the same time.
What hypotheses and/or assumptions do you have?
- Copies of issues could be problematic and cause confusion
- That in order for this feature to be truly useful, additional core fields need to be imported (comments? attachments?)
Phase 1: survey. Phase 2 (if needed): usability testing (moderated or unmoderated, depending on flow complexity.
Phase 1: Survey
- Draft survey questions [Weds Mar 11th]
- Open recruitment request issue [Weds Mar 11th] - https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/ux-research/-/issues/776
Import survey Questions into Qualtrics [Thurs Mar 12th]
- Test survey logic [Thurs Mar 12th]
- Distribute survey (#776)
- Close survey and conduct prize drawing
- Analyze survey results
Survey live link: https://gitlab.fra1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0ibQCpttFdpTjM1
User and wireflows - NOTE - they are very much WIP and will be changing. You also will need a Whimsical (freebie) account to view I believe