Q1 OKR: Validate Logging Maturity Level with Users
What’s this issue all about?
As part of gitlab-com/www-gitlab-com#6201, we are meant to validate Logging's move from minimal to viable with five users.
Who is the target user of the feature?
- Delaney (Development Team Lead)
- Sasha (Software Developer)
- Devon (DevOps Engineer)
- Sidney (Systems Administrator)
What questions are you trying to answer?
From gitlab-design#854 - since Logging has moved from minimal to viable, we should verify if it fits the following criteria with users:
- Definition: Can be used by users/customers to solve a real JTBD. It does not have major (blocking) usability issues but may have minor usability issues.
- How it's scored: Receives a "C" or higher for primary and secondary JTBDs.
JTBD to be validated
- When troubleshooting or verifying the status of my services I want to easily find the necessary information within my logs, so I can quickly get the system back up and running.
We want to use this research effort to answer additional related questions around Logging.
- In the current log explorer UI, would users want to scroll beyond the selected time range, or should we limit the logs the user can view to the time range they picked?
- What other info within the logs the user would want to see?
- What are the top actions the users would like to perform with the information in the logs?
- Do users want to view terminated pod logs? Why and in what context? Where would they expect to find the terminated pod logs?
- What are the most important ways for the user to filter a pods list and why? For ex. all pods vs. active pods vs. terminated pods.